Title Capitalization Tool for Post Titles and Headlines
This online title capitalization tool can be used to change the titles of your blog posts or the headlines for news articles into the correct title case.
It uses title case to produce the newly converted title. Title case is the most popular format for titles.
In title case, the first word and the last word are always capitalized and all other words are capitalized except for the ones that are articles, conjunctions, or prepositions. I have more information on title case below the tool if you’re interested.
I also have a tool that does capitalization for sentences – it's great for longer text that is wrongly capitalized. It's especially ideal for correcting all caps text or similar.
The Rules of Title Case for All Your Titles
For the most part the rules of capitalization of titles are pretty simple. For title case the first and last words have to be capitalized along with every other word that isn’t an article, a conjunction, or a preposition.
Determining what an article is in the English language is pretty simple. It’s three words; a, an, the.
The conjunction list is slightly longer at basically seven words; and, but, for, nor, or, so, yet.
Prepositions are the problem. They are the area where most people get confused.
Prepositions are words like as, by, for, from, in, and etc. I use the hundred most common prepositions for this title tool so that should automatically take care of the vast majority of prepositions in your blog posts or news titles.
The Rules for Sentence Case
Unless you’re writing for an academic journal or a large newspaper where very specific headline styles like APA or Chicago Manual are used, the other popular option for capitalizing titles is called sentence case.
Sentence case is as simple as its name sounds. You just have to follow the rules you would use when writing a sentence. Capitalize the first word and capitalize any words that happen to be proper nouns. Proper noun are things like days of the week, country, events, and so on. Here are some examples of words that should be capitalized; Friday, America, Oktoberfest.
Questions about the Title Capitalization Tool?
This title capitalization tool is a fairly new addition to the website and I think it works pretty well but if you spot any problems with it then please send me an email with details about any capitalization problems you might’ve encountered using this little app.
More Free Tools to Check Out!
- Generate Random Words for Brainstorming
- Alphabetize Text Automatically
- Convert Word Doc Content to HTML Code
- Capitalize sentences or Fix Caps Lock
- Convert Plain Text Content to Clean HTML
Most Popular Text Tools
- Remove Line Breaks: Remove unwanted line breaks from your text.
- Alphabetical Order: Alphabetize all sorts of text content with this tool.
- Text to HTML: Automatically change plain text into HTML paragraphs.
- HTML to Text: Remove all HTML tags, leaving only text content.
- Online Sentence Counter: Quickly count the number of sentences in your content.
- Random Choice Generator: Randomly pick a choice from a list of options.
- Reverse Text Generator: Create social media posts or any text in reverse text.
- Remove Duplicate Lines: Remove all of the identical lines in your content.
- Paragraph to Single Line: Convert any multiple paragraphs to a single line.
- Random Word Generator
- Random Sentence Generator
- Random String Generator
- Random Letter Generator
- Random Decision Maker
- Random Number Generator
- Random Password Generator
Line Break Tools
Fun Text Tools
Text Changing Tools
SEO and Word Tools
- Word Counter
- Sentence Counter Online
- Character Counter
- Title Capitalization Tool
- Title and Description Counter
HTML Conversion Tools
- Convert a Word Doc to HTML
- Convert Plain Text to HTML
- Convert URLs to HTML Links
- Convert CSV Text to HTML Table
HTML Code Generators
- HTML Table Generator
- HTML List Generator
- HTML Text Generator
- Email HTML Code