Title and Meta Description Letter Counter for SEO
This online tool is great for people who publish web pages and need to check the letter count of their web page's title and meta description. This letter counter will help you make sure that the title and page description are the right length according to the most recent SEO guidelines.
I made it because I often need a tool like this to quickly check the metatags for pages I want to publish.
How Long Should a Page Title and Meta Description Be?
These things are largely determined by how Google uses them as they are by far the number one factor in bringing organic search traffic to your site. The short answer is a page title should be less than 60 letters and a meta description should be less than 160 characters. Think of it as the 60/160 rule of thumb and you'll never forget it. I have more detailed information below this metatag tool if you want to know more about the SEO specifics.
I also have a word counter tool for checking the word count of your content that you might like... if you're into that kind of thing.
What Is the Correct Length for a Title Tag?
The title tag for a web page should be no longer than 55 to 60 characters. This is the amount of characters that Google will display in their search results before cutting off titles that are longer than that. If you use less than 50 characters then your full title will show up in the search results pretty much 100% of the time. If you use roughly 55-60 characters then about 90% of your titles will show up without being truncated.
Why Do Some Titles Get Cut off at 60 Characters?
It's because the space for a title is determined by pixel length not the number of letters.
Google reserves about 600 pixels space for your title. So it depends of exactly what letters are used in your title and how they affect the length. For example, visually, these five letters "iiiii" will take up less space than these five letters, "OOOOO". This is why your 60 character titles will sometimes get cut off.
Google Doesn't Care about Your Title Length
It's not necessarily that Google punishes you directly for a cut-off title but a truncated title will make the page's intent unclear to some visitors who see it in the search listing and consequently they will click these links a little less. Because of responses like this, your page will show up lower down in the Google search results in the future.
What is the Correct Length for a Description Metatag?
Aim for the character count of a description to be anywhere from 80 to 160 characters.
Mobile does seem to display more characters currently so some people are recommending longer titles but I would still aim for under 160 letters. I believe that making descriptions that are shorter, and punchier will get you more clicks from people in the long run.
Primarily, you should look less at the description as a piece of SEO information that you're trying to jam keywords into and look at it more like a compelling advertisement for your page.
Crafting the description copy to make it more interesting to potentials viewers should be your first goal. Do this and you'll get visitors. But the description metatag should, generally, have at least part of the words or key phrase from your title in it somewhere in order to help Google to really understand what the page is about.
Title and Meta Description Letter Counter is also available in German (Titel- und Beschreibungs-Buchstabenzähler), French (Compteur de lettres de titres et de descriptions) and Spanish (Contador de Letras de Título y Descripción).
The Most Popular Tools
- Random Word Generator: Generate a list of random words. Great tool for brainstorming ideas.
- Random Number Generator: Generate some random numbers in a specific number range.
- Random Sentence Generator: Create random sentences for creative brainstorming.
- Remove Line Breaks: Remove unwanted line breaks from your text.
- Random Choice Generator: Let this tool make a random decision for you.
- Convert Word to HTML: Automatically convert word contents to HTML code.
- Text to HTML: Quickly change plain text into HTML paragraphs.
- HTML to Text: Remove HTML tags, leaving only text content.
- Alphabetical Order: Alphabetize lists, or other text content with this tool.
- Capitalize the First letter of Sentences
- HTML Table Generator: Generate the code for a simple HTML table.
- Word Counter: Count the number of words in your text.
- Convert URLs to HTML Links
- Convert CSV Text to HTML Table
- Remove Duplicate Lines: Remove duplicate lines from a text file.
- HTML Compression: Compress HTML contents into a smaller size.
- Random Decision Maker: Generate a random decision with this app.
- The Rules of Plural Nouns: Entertaining explanations and many plural examples
- Generating Random Words: An article about how generating random words can inspire fresh new ideas
The Newest Updates
- Remove HTML Tags from a String
- Online Sentence Counter
- Character Counter Online
- Add Line Breaks Online
- Title Capitalization Tool
- Title and Description Letter Counter
- HTML Text Generator
- HTML List Generator
- Reverse Text Generator
- Random Password Generator
- Random String Generator
- Word Counter
- List of Common Words
- Remove Extra Whitespaces
- Uppercase or Lowercase Text
- Remove Duplicate Lines
- Brainstorm a Website Name
- Plural Noun Generator
- Random Nouns Generator
- Random Adjective Generator
- HTML Character Encoding Tool
- Rules of Capitalization in English