Common English Words List
On this page you'll find a downloadable list of common english words that I created that are free for you to use.
I had this briliant concept that needed a tag style search engine. Only the idea wasn't brilliant so now I just have a list of common english words. Basically a list of Stop Words.
Most Common Words in English
I created the list by analyzing a whole bunch of online news articles using a php script I wrote. This allowed me to quickly generate a pretty good list of the most commonly used words in the eglish vocabulary.
I'm sure there's a few words that you'll want to add to the list but it should be a pretty good starting point if you need a stop words list.
The contractions list contains some words that aren't, strictly speaking, contractions and some very archaic text contractions which you might want to edit out depending on your purposes.
If you use any of the downloads, it would be nice if you could provide a link back to this site. But I'm not going to insist on it since I'm not that pushy and you never listen to me anyways ;)
Common English Words
Here's a list of a 186 of the most commonly used words in every day english vocabulary.
'tis, 'twas, a, able, about, across, after, ain't, all, almost, also, am, among, an, and, any, are, aren't, as, at, be, because, been, but, by, can, can't, cannot, could, could've, couldn't, dear, did, didn't, do, does, doesn't, don't, either, else, ever, every, for, from, get, got, had, has, hasn't, have, he, he'd, he'll, he's, her, hers, him, his, how, how'd, how'll, how's, however, i, i'd, i'll, i'm, i've, if, in, into, is, isn't, it, it's, its, just, least, let, like, likely, may, me, might, might've, mightn't, most, must, must've, mustn't, my, neither, no, nor, not, of, off, often, on, only, or, other, our, own, rather, said, say, says, shan't, she, she'd, she'll, she's, should, should've, shouldn't, since, so, some, than, that, that'll, that's, the, their, them, then, there, there's, these, they, they'd, they'll, they're, they've, this, tis, to, too, twas, us, wants, was, wasn't, we, we'd, we'll, we're, were, weren't, what, what'd, what's, when, when, when'd, when'll, when's, where, where'd, where'll, where's, which, while, who, who'd, who'll, who's, whom, why, why'd, why'll, why's, will, with, won't, would, would've, wouldn't, yet, you, you'd, you'll, you're, you've, your
Downloadable files for these english word llists are available from the bulleted list below.
Download Stop Word Lists
- Common english words list as a csv
- Common english words list as a csv (with contractions included)
- Common english words list (3 letters and up) as a csv
- Common english words list (3 letters plus) as a csv (with contractions included)
I also have a seperate page that has a just english contractions list.
The Most Popular Tools
- Random Word Generator: Generate a list of random words. Great tool for brainstorming ideas.
- Remove Line Breaks: Remove unwanted line breaks from your text.
- Random Choice Generator: Let this tool make a random decision for you.
- Convert Word to HTML: Automatically convert word contents to HTML code.
- Text to HTML: Quickly change plain text into HTML paragraphs.
- Alphabetical Order: Alphabetize lists, or other text content with this tool.
- Capitalize the First letter of Sentences
- HTML Table Generator: Generate the code for a simple HTML table.
- Word Counter: Count the number of words in your text.
- Remove Duplicate Lines: Remove duplicate lines from a text file.
- HTML Compression: Compress HTML contents into a smaller size.
The Newest Tools
- Random Password Generator
- Word Counter
- List of Common Words
- Remove Extra Whitespaces
- Uppercase or Lowercase Text
- Remove Duplicate Lines
- Brainstorm a Website Name
- Random Nouns Generator
- Random Verbs Generator
- Random Adjective Generator
- Convert Decimal to Binary
- Country Dropdowns Code
- HTML Text Generator
- Convert URLs to HTML Links
- Convert CSV Text to HTML Table
- HTML Character Encoding Tool
- Encode URL